Touch is a fundamental human need. It is essential for physical, emotional and social health. Touch releases endorphins along with the trio responsible for your happiness;
- Serotonin- an important chemical and neurotransmitter that helps regulate mood, social behaviors, appetite, digestion, sleep, memory and function as a whole.
- Dopamine- the feel good hormone. It is associated with feelings of euphoria, bliss, motivation and concentration. Dopamine affects movement, emotions and the experience of pleasure.
- Oxytocin- promotes feelings of love, bonding and well being. Oxytocin also has a calming effect and leaves you feeling tranquil and loving and it helps you sleep better.
Touch also inspires positive thinking and expands trust, reduces social anxiety and stress, it boosts the immune system and lowers blood pressure.
Mother Teresa said it best. There is more hunger for love and appreciation in this world than for bread.
If you are wondering who benefits from cuddle therapy….
- Someone who has suffered loss or is going through the grieving process
- Those recovering from addiction
- Anyone with social anxiety, recluses, introverts, etc.
- Singles who long for safe appropriate touch
- Illness sufferers (cancer, autoimmune, etc)
- Those who have been abused in anyway
- Cuddle therapy is for anyone who isn’t getting their needs met with safe, appropriate touch